Parents, please note that some after school programming might be affected be affected by ongoing strikes with the Waterloo Region School Board. Stay updated by checking the wrdsb labour page https://www.wrdsb.ca/labour/ or by emailing us if you have specific questions.
The Ministry of Education is providing financial support to parents to assist with costs they will be incurring on account of a labour disruption. Financial support will be provided for each day of school missed due to labour disruption. Please see below link for more information and how to apply. https://www.iaccess.gov.on.ca/ParentAppWeb/parentapp/index.xhtml
- Running and Reading – Running and Reading is an after school program at Cedarbrae P.S. for students in Gr. 1-6. This program focuses on activities that promote physical activity and English literacy. The after school program is on Tuesdays from 3:40 – 5:30 pm starting January 28 – March 31. There will be no program on Tuesday March 17th. Sorry, this program is currently full. Click here to be added to our waiting list. When a spot opens up, we’ll call you.
- Mini Chefs- Mini Chefs is a student club facilitated by Better Beginnings at Cedarbrae Public School for students in grades 1. In this club, participants learn about healthy eating and nutrition, while learning age-appropriate cooking skills. Mini Chefs meets weekly on Mondays from 11:20 am – 12:00 pm. Sorry, Mini Chefs is postponed for this term.
- Run and Learn – Run and Learn is an after school program at Winston Churchill P.S. for students in Gr. 1-3. This program focuses on activities that promote physical activity and English literacy. Run and Learn happens weekly on Wednesdays from 3:30 – 5:15pm starting January 29th – April 1. There will be no program on Wednesday Feb 19th and March 18th. Sorry, this program is currently full. Click here to be added to our waiting list. When a spot opens up, we’ll call you.
- Discover Music – An opportunity for youth to practice positive leadership by learning ukulele and teaching these skills to a younger child in the community. Under the supervision of an Accredited Music Therapist, youth will undergo a five-week training program focused on developing positive leadership skills and building community through music. After training, the youth will each be paired with a younger child who they will teach ukulele to. No musical experience required to participate in the program! Thursdays from 4-5pm Spots are limited, please contact us if interested.
- Home Reading – The Home Reading Assistance Program was developed in partnership with the Special Education Resource Teachers at Cedarbrae P.S. This program is meant to supplement the Home Reading program that takes place in Cedarbrae P.S. On Wednesdays and Thursdays (9:30-11:20am), Better Beginnings volunteers are assigned to a classroom and practice reading one-on-one with students in JK-Gr.4. Registration for this program is teacher-elected.
- Soccer Intramurals – Developed in partnership with staff at Cedarbrae Public School, this program focuses on teaching children in grades 5 and 6 basic soccer skills. Students also learn skills in teamwork, team building and collaboration. This program happens on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2pm – 2:40pm at Cedarbrae Public School.
- Tutoring – The Adventure4Change tutoring program runs out of The Neighbourhood Hub on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 4:30- 5:30pm, and is open to students in grades 1 through 8. We welcome students to sign up to meet one-on-one with a university student tutor regarding a subject of the participant’s choosing. Program runs from Jan 28th – April 1st. Sorry, this program is currently full. Click here to be added to our waiting list. When a spot opens up, we’ll call you.
- Bridges to Music – Bridges to Music is a program that offers low-cost violin lessons to elementary-school aged children. Funded by Sun Life Financial, this program is offered in partnership with Better Beginnings Waterloo, House of Friendship, and KW Symphony. Students receive weekly violin lessons at Sunnydale Community Centre. Please contact Linda at Sunnydale Community Centre for more information (519-883-0410)
- March Break Camp – Join us for a week of fun! March 16th – 19th from 1pm – 4pm at Church in the Woods – 209 Bearinger Rd. For children in SK – gr 4. Registration required. $10 per child up to a max of $25 per family.